Wednesday 30 March 2011

A Turnstone Tale 22/03/2011

One of my local patches is Foulney Island. It is an island joined to the mainland by a causeway which is covered at high tide.  This gives the waders some protection from casual disturbance by dog walkers etc. Below is a series of three pictures.  The first one shows a Turnstone in summer plumage that has, just gone over, to use a flower arranging term. The second shows a bird still in winter plumage, plus ring.  This was taken last week .  The bird appeared tired possibly from a long migration flight. As I approached what appeared to be  another ring was on the same leg but above the knee.  I was unsure at what I may have seen.  The B.T.O. have not ringed this species on the tarsus for many years .  This made the bird almost certainly one with a foreign ring. I decided to move the bird gently along the beach.  It hopped along on the other leg for 5 minutes.  I did not want it to fly, just put it's other leg down. I thought the bird I was looking at was a one legged Turnstone and I had got it mixed up within the flock with the first bird.  Eventually it swapped legs although I did not see it do this and then it flew into the centre of the flock.  Only when I got home and viewed my shots did I see the flag on the tibia.  This is a white flag and that denotes a Canadian ringed bird probably Ellesmere Island.  I have sent off the details and am awaiting confirmation  

Summer Plumage

Winter Plumage Notice Ring

White Flag On Tibia

No comments:

Post a Comment